Friday, February 24, 2012

Sitting Hummingbird

Hello !     Below is another card that I designed for Designs by Ryn .   We see a lot of Hummingbirds flying & enjoying a meal in our flower gardens, but rarely do we see one that is sitting !   Hummingbirds are so amazing !     I'm getting anxious for spring and gardening !

I used Ryn's CMB7 - Sitting Hummingbird to create this card.    My post on February 18th (Think Spring with Hummingbirds & Flowers) shows cards with one of her flying Hummingbird stamps.  

If you have been following my blog for a while, you know that most of the time I like to create my own backgrounds so this is a different 'look'.     I love trying out different techniques, but at times I feel I should use some of my designer papers.   I have large stash of mini-pads and I don't 'allow' myself to buy anymore until I use up most of what I have here.   So that 'rule' should save me some budget to use for new stamps :)     

When I first started making cards, I was doing a lot of paper folding & embroidery on paper and always used border stickers.    I have a life-time supply of folding paper, stickers & embroidery  threads.  Fortunately they don't take up too much space as a passion for rubber stamping has taken over !   Part of this hobby is collecting for the hobby !    



I embossed the image with black on watercolour paper and coloured with Tombow markers & water.     I used Spellbinders Nestabilities S4-133 & S4-131 to cut out the image & pink mat.   The flower & leaves were created using Crealies Dies CL CS 11 & CL CF 17.

The papers I used for this card is from Basic Grey's 6x6 pad - 'Sweet Threads'.    The flowers & leaves were die cut from the same paper with the exception of the bright pink flower that was from a piece of left-over background with Smooch Inks.    



Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend !
Shirley

10 comments:

Miranda said...

Hi Shirley, a lovely hummingbird card again! Love those colours together and the Crealies flowers and leaves are great with it!
have a nice weekend, Mirandax

Marn said...

Hi Shirley!
This is so pretty!!! So nice to see that special hummingbird again, he looks great sitting as well! You did a very very nice job again on the colours, wow very nice! The green on the front of the bird makes him look all soft and furry! Well done! GREAT background and those crealies look so good there! Very nice again!
Thanks for sharing!
Greetings from Marlene :)

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Another gorgeous hummimgbird Shirley, you are so lucky to be able to see these in your garden. I love the colours you've used, and the crealies look wonderful (the leaves are my favorite of the crealie dies so far).

Enjoy your weekend
Sue x

curlypow said...

Nice one Shirley. How is the stitching coming on?

Ina G said...

Ever so pretty gorgeous colours. Lucky you having such beautiful birds come visit your garden.

Ellen Taylor said...

Gorgeous coloring Shirley! I hear you about the paper, I am on a designer paper buying freeze until I use some up too. Your hummingbird card is simply marvelous! Fabulously done!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

WOW Shirley this is great. I love your hummingbird and the crealies flower. Beautifuil combination and colors.
I will thank you for your sweet words on my work.
Lovely greet and nice weekend
Marja

Saakje said...

Hi Shirley
The hummingbirds are so lucky to be able and fly in your beautiful garden!!
This card is so bright, like this birds.
Thank you for sharing. Saakje

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card Shirley, I have always enjoyed watching the hummingbirds in our yard too. I love the colors and techniques too !!

Julia Aston said...

what beautiful colors on that hummingbird Shirley! love the die cut flower and foliage!